I used to be a cross-country runner


Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I ran Cross-Country at my prep school. I was never super good, although by the time I reached my senior year I was on target to make the varsity squad before I suffered a severe ankle sprain. So, when I saw that one of my Garmin Buddies had done a trail run in the nearby Umstead Park I thought I'd give that a try for my run today.
Having tried it, I've decided to stick to road running.

I've actually done a number of training runs in Umstead, as well as two distances of the NC Road Runners Classic 10K and half-marathon, but all of that takes place on gravel fire roads. This run was on single track through the woods, and I'd forgotten how many exposed roots and rocks you have to deal with. I spent much of the time convinced I was either going to fall on my face from tripping (which I nearly did twice) or twist an ankle from landing badly, except for the part where I got off course and had to walk straight up a hill until I found the trail again.
So, I'm glad I gave it a try, but I'm going to count this as a reminder that I'm a road runner and the challenges of the woods are more than I need right now.

Comments