In which we spend a lot of money to be uncomfortable

I'm reviving this blog to record my experiences completing my first (and possibly last) Ironman triathlon. One of my co-workers and I have signed up for Ironman Louisville, on October 15, 2017. Given that I've only done one half-iron event (the Beach 2 Battleship event that has since been bought out by the same World Triathlon Corporation that runs the Ironman events), this is going to be a leap for me. A few concerns so far:

  • It's way expensive. Entry fees alone are close to $1,000.
  • The race is 6 hours from my house, so at a bare minimum I'm committed to 3 days of travel.
  • I've never gone on a 2.4 mile swim in any conditions, let alone the Ohio River.
  • I've never ridden 112 miles before (although I have done 100, several years ago).
  • I've never run a marathon before, let alone at the tail end of the other events.
  • I'm neither as young nor as skinny as I used to be.
On the plus side, I've got a number of advantages:
  • Unlike another of my co-workers who did an Ironman for his very first triathlon, I've completed a number of these now so I have an idea what to expect.
  • I have all sorts of support for this. My company has provided a full staff of people to help out with this:
    • A personal trainer who has herself run a full Ironman
    • A swim instructor
    • A nutritionist
    • Several persistent co-workers who make sure I get my swim workouts in
  • I'm motivated to finish, and confident that I will
So, this is just sort of the public announcement that I'm starting down the path. Hopefully future posts will have more details, pictures, or something else interesting to follow.

Comments